This course enables students to further explore and develop technological knowledge and skills introduced in the elementary science and technology program. Students will be given the opportunity to design and create products and/or provide services related to the various technological areas or industries, working with a variety of tools, equipment, and software commonly used in industry. Students will develop an awareness of environmental and societal issues, and will begin to explore secondary and postsecondary education and training pathways leading to careers in technology-related fields.
Exploring Robotics Technology
This exploratory course introduces students to concepts and skills in robotic technology, which encompasses robotic systems, networking, interfacing, and programming, as well as electronics and computers. Students will develop an awareness of related environmental and societal issues, and will begin to explore secondary and postsecondary pathways leading to careers in the field.
- Week 1: Safety and tools – Week 1 Slideshow
- Week 2: Requirements and Design – Week 2 Slideshow (contains project!)
- Week 3: Electronics – Week 3 Slideshow
- Week 4: Programming
- Week 5: Sumo Bots and Group project – if you aren’t working on a group project job you need to work on an independent project.
- Week 6: Sumo Bots/Group project/Independent Projects
Assessment of Learning
Assessment of your learning is broken down as follows:
- Safety, tools, requirements & design quiz 2%, Hands-on project 4%
- Electronics and programming quiz 3%, Hands-on project 6%
- Individaul projects and group project 5%
- Daily logs and following classroom procedures to mainatin a safe work environment 3%
- Exam 5%, Exam project 5%
This accounts for 33% of your final mark, your other rotations will cover the remaining marks.
Assessments will focus on the following:
- Knowledge and Understanding
- Thinkings (Planning, Problem Solving)
- Independent Work